Friday, June 24, 2011

And the madness begins....

If you know me, you may know that Shawn and I have been trying to get pregnant for a while.  Two years to be exact.  Last summer my doctor ran a couple tests on me, we find out that my uterus is tilted and that my tubes are clear.  Once I checked out we were sent on to the Bennett Fertility Institute at Baptist.  At Bennett, we had an appt that lasted no longer than 30 minutes and were told to keep trying and we'd be pregnant by the next year.  No exam done, just vitals and a visit with the doctor.  Shawn was also referred to a Urologist at this time, who told him everything checked out ok after three abnormal semen analysis.  Needless to say we were not happy with our care.
In March, I called Bennett to make an appt, left a message and never heard a word back from them.  It was time to make a change.  I called up the Reproductive Medicine clinic at OU Physicians and made an appt for the middle of June.

June finally arrives and it's time for my appt!  I am amazed at how involved this appt is.  I get my vitals checked, visit with the doctor, have an exam, bloodwork, and ultrasound done.  We see that my uterus is tilted (I already knew that) and that my ovaries are just fine.  We are also told about a study that we may be elgible for, the requirements are that I must have one open tube, ovulate, and Shawn's count needs to be above 5 million.  I have one tube open, bloodwork showed I ovulate, and I really think Shawn's count is high enough.  We are praying we qualify because it would be amazing to get four IUI's at no cost to us.  The study involves three meds, two oral meds and one injection med.  At the end of our appt I was told to call on my next Day 1.

Four days later it's Day 1, so I call to let the office know.  Later that afternoon the office calls back and we qualify and can get everything started this cycle.  I just need to come in on Day 3 for bloodwork, another exam for the study, and to turn in consent forms.

Day 3 arrives and the appt goes great and I am sent on my way with more paperwork.  I get home and a couple hours later I get the call that we no longer qualify because Shawn's counts are too low but we can go in and collect another sample.  I am beyond upset but we go back to the office and collect another sample.  I am certian that we will not qualify and thinking of an alternative plan.  Later that afternoon I get another call and we qualify and I can pick up my meds in the morning!

Day 4.  I pick up my meds and find out that I was selected for the injections, the most aggressive treatment.  I wanted the injections but didnt want them at the same time.  If I got the injections I would know what med I am getting but then I have to poke myself everyday.  With the two pills you wouldnt know which one you were taking.  I am sent on my way with my meds, more paperwork, and an appt on Tuesday morning.  Now I'm just waiting till I give myself my first shot this evening.  I hope it goes well!

Needless to say (if you are still reading) this is all so very overwhelming and crazy!  At my appt last Friday I had thought I would have time to let things digest and and time to process our options.  One week later I am starting treatment and having to give myself shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment